WHETHER it was a new skincare regime or updating your make up bag after lockdown, we all bought a lot of beauty over the last year.
Clearplay have put together their annual Fashion & Beauty Trend Report, with the most popular beauty brands and products we bought over lockdown.
Buy now pay later service Clearplay has crunched the numbers in their Summer Fashion & Beauty Trend Report to see what we actually bought last year.
With many of us adapting to a new life of Zoom calls and masks, our beauty choices reflect that.
Perhaps unsurprisingly there was a surge for haircare products as the salons shut their doors, including cult favourite Olaplex.
Olaplex products literally filled their top ten hair products bought in the last year, with Olaplex’s No 3 Hair Perfecter also claiming the top spot for the overall number one beauty product bought in the last year.
Their Shampoo and Conditioner Bundle came in third too, proving that Olaplex has been a huge hit with beauty fans and shoppers alike this year
MAC’s hugely popular Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15 Foundation came in second place, and their cult favourite Matte Lipstick came in fifth, a sign many of us were looking to update our looks at the end of lockdown.
Skincare fans stocked up on The Ordinary, with their Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 Hydration Support Fomula 30% in fourth place.
Their Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% High Strength Vitamin and Mineral Blemish Formula, and High-Adherence Silicone Primer also both appeared in the top ten.
The report also shared that fragrance was a key search term for Clearplay. According to consumer psychologist, Shakaila Forbes-Bell saying: “traumatic events can cause consumers to engage in nostalgia, where they are keen to transport themselves to happier times.
“Scents have the ability to do just that, and it’s evident consumers have used these purchases as a form of escapism during lockdown.”
But what are we buying next?
There has also been a spike in sales of eyebrow products during recent lockdown months, with gels, pencils and powders proving popular as consumers draw attention their brows whilst we cover our faces with masks, an tidying up grown out eyebrows in preparation for restrictions easing.
Clearplay’s last report saw a focus on self-care but shopper are now expected to celebrate the lifting of restrictions with sales of bolder make up products such as with sales of glosses from the likes of Look Fantastic and MAC on the rise.
Clearpay’s trend futurist, Geraldine Wharry, predicts a season full of sparkles in the coming months, saying: “If this winter, we can all finally be together again, it’s going to be the season of celebration with glitz and glam. From micro-sequins to clear beads, everyone is going to seek to express joy and hope. Expect to see glitter in our beauty products, too!
“Along with the glitter, you can expect bright colors, such as oranges, pinks, and reds, to enter Brits’ wardrobes and make-up bags. After a long lockdown and gloomy winter, brands are going to start introducing colours that express hope, optimism, and innovation to shoppers. Gen Z is certain to be at the forefront of this initiative, as they’re poised to be the fashion innovators of the future.”
What were the top 25 Beauty products* bought in the last year?
- Olaplex No.3 Hair Perfector 100ml – buy here
- Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15 Foundation (MAC Cosmetics) – buy here
- Olaplex Shampoo and Conditioner Bundle – buy here
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 Hydration Support Formula 30ml – buy here
- Matte Lipstick (MAC Cosmetics) – buy here
- PIXI Glow Tonic – buy here
- The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% High Strength Vitamin and Mineral Blemish Formula 30ml – buy here
- Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder – buy here
- The Ordinary High-Adherence Silicone Primer 30ml – buy here
- Lip Pencil (MAC Cosmetics) – buy here
- Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge – buy here
- Olaplex No.7 Bonding Oil 30ml – buy here
- Olaplex No.6 Bond Smoother 100ml – buy here
- Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched Face Base 50ml – buy here
- The Ordinary Natural Moisturising Factors + HA 30ml- buy here
- Real Techniques Everyday Essentials (Worth £35) – buy here
- Olaplex Hero Bundle – buy here
- The Ordinary Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG 30ml – buy here
- Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup SPF 10 – buy here
- Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray 118ml – buy here
- CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser 236ml – buy here
- CeraVe Smoothing Cleanser 236ml – buy here
- Beauty Works Molly Mae X Beauty Works Curl Kit – buy here
- Olaplex Holiday Hair Fix
- CeraVe Eye Repair Cream 14ml – buy here
*purchased with Clearpay from beginning of April 2020 to April 2021
Vote for the Fabulous Beauty Awards 2021
VOTE NOW for your favourite hair tool in our Beauty awards and win some amazing prizes, including a Caribbean holiday and £17,000 worth of beauty goodies. Choose from:
- Ghd Rise Hot Brush
- Dyson Dyson Corrale Straightener
- Nicky Clarke Hair Therapy Ceramic Straightener
- Could Nine The Air Shot Pro
- Mark Hill Pick ‘N’ Mix Deep Waver with Pick ‘N’ Mix Curl Fix Handle
- BaByliss Curl Styler Luxe
The Ordinary is the world’s most popular skincare brand according to this study
Cloud Nine launces first ‘game-changing’ cordless straightener
Huda Beauty launches Glowish designed to give you a perfect, natural glow
Lookfantastic launches Iconic London Beauty Box worth over £126 for £40
Tan Luxe launches new Super Glow Night Repair for an insane glow as you sleep
Savvy shopper snaps up £800 worth of gift sets for £15 in Superdrug’s £1 sale
Forget Botox! This simple ‘diagonal’ concealer trick could instantly make you look ten years younger.
Huda Beauty has launched at ASOS and here’s what we’re buying.
Sales of fake tan at Boots are up 300% – here are the best ones to buy.
If you click on a link in this story we will earn affiliate revenue.
40 total views, 1 views today