JONATHAN Lewis tragically lost his life after becoming embroiled in a fatal altercation outside his school on November 1, 2023.
The 17-year-old was killed by a violent group of students in an attack that has sent shockwaves through Las Vegas – here’s everything you need to know.
Who was Jonathan Lewis?
Jonathan Lewis was a 17-year-old student at Rancho High School, in Las Vegas.
The teenager lost his life in November 2023 after being attacked by a group of students outside his school.
According to Lewis’ father, also named Jonathan Lewis, the teen kept to himself and lived in Las Vegas with his mother.
But Lewis had been planning to move to live with his father in Austin, Texas, before tragedy struck.
READ MORE ON LAS VEGAS
The teenager was said to be an aspiring artist and devoted older brother.
How did Jonathan Lewis die?
Lewis lost his life after being beaten to death by a mob of 15 attackers outside his high school on November 1, 2023.
He died on November 7 after succumbing to his severe injuries following the attack.
Horror footage of the savage attack appears to show Jonathan surrounded by up to 15 youths as he throws a punch.
Most read in The US Sun
But in a shock retaliation, the swarm of students begins hitting and kicking him repeatedly as he lies on the ground.
In an extended version of the footage, one of Lewis’ friends appears to make a rescue attempt – before receiving multiple blows to the back of the head.
As smaller fights began to break out around wounded Jonathan, he was left on the ground while slowly bleeding out.
Cops found Lewis at around 2pm on November 1, bleeding from head injuries.
Witnesses told local media that paramedics performed chest compressions on the teenager before he was dashed to hospital.
He was immediately put on life support at University Medical Centre, where he tragically died on November 7 after doctors desperately attempted to save his life.
“All I can do is hope there’s a way that can find forgiveness in their heart and find a way to be able to come to terms with what they’ve done,” the boy’s father said of his son’s attackers.
What has been said about Jonathan Lewis’ death?
Following Lewis’ death, Las Vegas Metropolitan Police have now launched a homicide investigation.
As of November 13, no arrests have been made, but Lewis’ family was reportedly told by investigators that they plan to charge several students involved with the murder.
The father said: “We’re all just trying to process this. The whole family is in shock.”
Lewis created a GoFundMe page titled Heart of a Champion Our Son, which features a photo of him holding his son’s hand in the hospital before he died.
“He will always be so loved as his dad I’ll forever hold him in my heart, shine even brighter, love even more and work all my life to bring peace into this world,” Lewis wrote.
“Empathy and love are great strength and cowardly violence is pathetic,” the dad added.
“A true warrior would never cowardly beat one person just because the two or three members of the group couldn’t beat the one warrior, a true warrior would let the others learn and grow.
“Although ourare broken and this tragedy is absolutely absurd madness, we want to focus on the legacy of our son,” Lewis added.
“Jonathan was a loving, giving, kind, fierce young man who loved community and caring for others.”
The GoFundMe has raised almost $44,300 since it was created.
4 total views, 1 views today